Fallout 3 is an action role-playing open world game created in 2008. It is one of the most successful games and there are many features of it due to which thousands of gamers still play Fallout 3 even after a decade of its release. Gamers love playing Fallout 3 to this day, but sometimes they face a few problems while playing this game on Windows 10. You must know the exact cause of the issue and proper troubleshooting methods to resolve it.
Quick methods to run Fallout 3 on Windows 10
Fallout 3 not working on Windows computers must not be taken lightly. There are many methods and ways by which you can make Fallout 3 work on Windows 10 without having any issues. Apply any of the following effective solutions to resolve the issue you are facing:
Method 1: Run Fallout 3 As an Administrator
Simply running the Fallout 3 game with administrative privileges can help you to resolve many problems related to it. It is a quitesimple process to run any game in Windows OS with administrative privileges whenever you launch it. All you need to do is:
- Open the Fallout 3 folder within your Steam folder. By default, it is locatedat the following folder in your system:
- X: \ Program Files (x86) \ Steam \ steamapps \ common \ Fallout 3 goty, or
- X: \ Program Files (x86) \ Steam \ steamapps \ common \ Fallout 3
- Right-click on the EXE file and choose the Properties option from the resulting context menu.
- Now, navigate to the Compatibility tab and enable the Run this program as an administrator option by checking the checkbox adjacent to it.
- Click on Apply button followed by OK button to save changes.
Once the changes are saved, launch Fallout 3 and check whether the issue has been resolved.
Method 2: Run Fallout 3 in compatibility mode
Most common problems that users might face while running Fallout 3 on their computers are mainly due to compatibility issues. Such problems can cause the game to crash or not run at all. But it can be easily resolved by running Fallout 3 in Compatibility Mode. For this, you need to:
- Press Windows + E key to open File Explorer.
- Go to Fallout 3 folder within your Steam folder, which is by default located at:
- C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Steam \ steamapps \ common \ Fallout 3.
- Right-click on the Fallout 3 EXE file and select Properties option.
- Navigate to the Compatibility tab from the top of the properties window and check the box adjacent to Run this program in compatibility mode for option.
- Open the dropdown menu located under the above option and select the Windows XP (Service Pack 3) option.
- Click on the Apply button and then on OK.
After the above steps, launch Fallout 3 game and check whether or not the problem has been fixed.
Method 3: Edit the Falloutprefs.ini File
If none of the above methods have helped you in resolving your problems while trying to play Fallout 3 on Windows 10 system, you can edit the falloutprefs.ini file, which is a config file of Fallout 3. To resolve this issue, apply the following steps:
- Navigate to My Documents \ My Games \ Fallout3 and locate the file titled as falloutprefs.ini.
- Double-click on the falloutprefs.ini file to open it in a new instance of Notepad.
- LocatebUseThreadedAI = 0 and rename it as bUseThreadedAI = 1.
- In the new line with the same file, typeiNumHWThreads = 2and go to next step.
- Press Ctrl + S to save the changes on the falloutprefs.ini file and close the Notepad file.
Once done, run Fallout 3 and check whether the changes you made managed to get the issue resolved. After applying this troubleshooting method, try to run Fallout 3 in compatibility mode with administrative privileges.
How to fix We Couldn’t Complete The Updates Undoing Changes in Windows 10?
How To Fix File Explorer Keeps Crashing Windows 10 Issues?
How to Fix Windows 10 Media Creation Tool Error 0x80042405-0xa001a?
How To Fix Acrobat Failed To Connect To A DDE Server Issue On Windows System